Microsoft OneNote – What is OneNote? Why should I use OneNote?
What Is Microsoft OneNote?
Essentially, it is a digital notebook available anytime, anywhere. OneNote is available as a traditional desktop app, a web app, and a mobile app. In addition, a simplified OneNote version comes pre-installed with Windows 10. The features available to the user depend on the version and environment used.
Why Would I Want To Use microsoft OneNote?
There are many reasons. It is a very powerful program with lots of versatility.
- You can create sections and pages just like a traditional notebook, then save and organize your typed or handwritten notes, and other stuff such as photos, files, links to websites, screen clippings, videos, etc.
- You can create further navigational structure by creating section groups or subpages and your own templates.
- You can search for items by text, tags, or author.
- OneNote integrates easily with Microsoft Outlook and other Office products.
- You can email a message to OneNote or email notes captured in OneNote to others. Items assigned in OneNote appear as Tasks in Outlook.
- You can easily send Word and PowerPoint files to OneNote.
- You can take notes based on a Word document or PowerPoint presentation and link the notes to the original source file for reference.
- You can share your notebooks with specific people through a direct email or to the world through a sharing link.
- You can set permissions to view only or with editing privileges. You can password protect sections.
- You can view recent edits and revert to a previous version if necessary.
- You can do other cool things too.
- For example, you can ask Cortana or Siri to take notes for you.
- Another thing you can do is covert handwritten notes to text.
- Finally, you can take notes on a webpage and then save a screen clip with annotations to OneNote.
How is OneNote Used?
There are several ways to use OneNote at school, work, or home. For a great list of examples and ideas, check out:
The screenshot below is an example of a class notebook that shares file attachments with students for download. In addition, the Quick Links section lists websites and articles relevant to class topics. The instructor uses his iPhone to send links to OneNote from LinkedIn and Twitter.
Can I use Microsoft OneNote offline?
You can! You’ll need to sync your notebook with OneDrive before going offline, then OneNote automatically syncs your changes as you work. If at any time you lose your Internet connection or turn it off, any pending changes will sync as soon as you’re back online.
How Do I Get Started with OneNote?
To start using OneNote, create a free Microsoft account or purchase a Microsoft Office 365 license. Go to https://products.office.com/en-US/onenote to sign-in or sign-up.
For help, check out: https://support.office.com/en-us/onenote
For more information, read: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_OneNote
If you’d like to dive deeper into the functions, commands, and capabilities of Microsoft Excel, and other applications within the Microsoft Office Suite, sign up for a one-day training class at Centriq.
Get specific information by speaking with a Training Advisor by email, by phone at 913.322.7062 and 314.644.6400, or by completing the following form.